Art (Therapy) Training 101


At a national gathering of people who do visitation with incarcerated immigrants who are seeking asylum, I shared the experience of doing artful reflection inside a detention center by duplicating the "Ya me voy" exercise recently I had done with immigrant women. 



I brought one suitcase (instead of two) filled with a condensed selection of my usual diverse selection of art materials. I also provides copies of the same bilingual one-page teaching tool and my 4-step sample of the prototype for the art reflection. 


While the participants worked on their art I have an overview of process and procedure. I'm always amazed and inspired by the diverse expressions of the "same" project. 

The final steps include adding one last large art element in a bold shape (or word) which symbolizes the message of the medium and then signing and dating the art.