Uniquely You

After a "rough day at the office" I needed to reflect on my strengths and gifts.

 This mixed media reflection in an altered book combines photographs, graffiti words that describe the unique you, flowers cut from pretty paper, marker pens for embellishment, and acrylic paint. It would be a good project for VBS or for a 12-step recovery group.
I began with an already prepared  background of white gesso and layers of mustard yellow and blue acrylic glaze. I used a hard edge to scrape the top layer for a rough look.
 Use artist medium to glue down photos. Blend the photos into the background with layers gesso then the same colors used to make the background. I used pearl acrylic glaze with a rubber paint applicator to create a sense of depth. The diagonal stroke (below) is meant to give the sense of motion.

Allow to dry and then use a thin brush with acrylic paint or a wide marker pen to write bold words that describe what is uniquely you.
 I wanted to tone down the boldness of the words and also bring in my love for flowers so I cut a variety of flower shapes from pretty papers and glued them over and around the words to create a layered collage.



To prevent the photos from getting lost in the busy-ness of the collage, use wide marker pens to make doodle flowers around the photographs. You can continue to embellish with doodle art as you desire.