Reflection on Writing


Integrating art with decision making is an excellent way to be thoughtful and to engage in "reflective thinking" (thinking-on-thinking) to assist with the process of thinking. Mixing art and reflection works well for anything that requires careful consideration. The art journal becomes a back-and-forth-conversation between...yourself and yourself! Begin by identifying the topic for reflection. In the example here, I was considering which topics of my PhD dissertation hold the most personal interest for me and which I would be willing to spend a significant amount of time in promoting and rewriting to ensure these ideas make it into great readership circulation. I chose a previously prepared page with the exposed words "integral to the unwritten story behind the making of a book" to set the theme for the reflection. I identified the primary book/article topic and stenciled the title on the outside edges [Postmodern Hermeneutic] with a Pilot marker pen. I also identified the key theological themes (left side of the page) and the overall challenge for readers (right side of the page) in the postmodern context. I stamped the words using custom stamps carved from wine corks (words with 5 letters or less) and Prismacolor art erasers (words with 6 letters or more).
  I also gave careful consideration to the unique aspects of my journey, and these are represented by my church logo (three "people crosses" under the tent/awning) and a picture of me in my cap and gown. These are collaged onto listings of colleges and seminaries for my church affiliation. I used simple collage materials in cream, tan, and taupe to make churches in various sizes to create a visual connection between my unique experience and knowledge with the world-at-large which I hope to benefit from the information "going public." This art reflection is a process for thinking on thinking; listening to self; listening to God; and being open to the possibility of a new answer through the art.