1. Where do you begin? [human/anthropological or divine]
2. How do you proceed?
3. How do you develop a theological template?
4. How do you prioritize the issues of theology in their order of importance?
Two Modes of Thinking
1. Sequential—linear thinking that gets one from A to B to C.
2. Parallel synthetic thinking sees the total picture or Gestalt and the interrelateness of its parts.
For theology to be creative, the output of parallel synthetic thinking needs to be integrated with the conceptual constructs of sequential thinking and vice versa.
How Do We Begin—a Rudimentary Procedure
· Examine the questions and struggles of our Christian lives.
· Make explicit the theological understandings of the Christian message implicit in the discussion.
· Examine those understandings and note their strengths and limits.
· Propose what seems the most adequate resolution to the issue in light of the Christian message of God.
Ultimately: Explain in theological terms why what we propose is preferable to other options.