Connecting with (Immigrant) Kids through Art



Art is an excellent way to connect cross-culturally. It easily crosses any boundaries of language and becomes a language unto itself. I use art as a "guided meditation" to help children (and the mothers) to express their experiences and to name God present in their circumstances. As I often say to the women and children in my mediocre Spanish: I do not have enough words in Spanish to express my love and concern for you, but through art we can have a conversation that we all can understand. I provide basic steps and show a sample related to the project. Then everyone interprets and expresses as desired. I let them know that there are no rules when Pastor Helen does art. Have fun. Use any of the supplies that you would like. Express what is on your heart.
There are LOTS of options for art-making.
Punch tools in various shapes are popular with the kids.