The Hand(s) of Prayer

My sample evolved to be prayers for the women and children in Cabo as Hurricane Blanca nears.

White crayon on watercolor card stock.
After a recent suicide attempt inside a detention center for women I volunteered to do a guided meditation on prayer with the women inside the detention center for immigrant women and children seeking asylum. During the preliminary explanation, I told the women (in my mediocre Spanish) that I do not have enough words in Spanish to share with them what is on my heart about what happened here two days ago, but I can share what is on my heart by doing art. I had made a sample ahead of time to show, and I also had typed up the basic steps for the instructions and then put them through Google Translate for a Spanish version. The women are very literate and easily read the steps. My sample also helped to break the language barrier. We used wax resist (crayon on with watercolors on card stock). The hand is drawn around with the palm up as a symbol of open prayer to God.
Materials:
1.       Watercolor paper
2.       Watercolors and watercolor pencils
3.       Paintbrushes
4.       Crayons and/or oil pastels
5.       Stencils
6.       Stamps and stamp pads
7.       Colored pencils
8.       Cups for water; pitcher; paper towels
9.       Hair drier (to force dry watercolor)

Process:
1.       Rest one hand palm side up on a piece of watercolor paper and use a white/light colored crayon or oil pastel to draw the hand. The palm-side-up hand symbolizes an open prayer. As desired, add a border and/or symbols in the remaining space of the watercolor paper.
2.       Use one or more colors of watercolor to completely paint over the paper.  During the painting process think of the people, events, circumstances that you want to include in the art prayer.
3.       Allow the watercolor to dry (or use a hairdryer to force the paper dry).
4.       Use stencils and/or stamps to add the names of the people, events, and/or circumstances to your prayer.

5.       Title the prayer. Put your name and date somewhere on the page—either on the front or on the back.